Archive for June, 2012
Friday, June 29th, 2012
I have great news for you! The Women’s Half and 5K posted their pictures from the race which means I can relive the race all over again anytime I want. I’m warning you, these pictures are incredible and I look gorgeous in all of them so don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful.
Now this pictures is from the very beginning of the race. As you can see within the first few steps my face/body was already in utter pain.
When I got down to the end of the turn, I realized the camera man and did my best attempt at looking somewhat pleasant.
This would appear to be when I was running so slow that I’m fairly certain it was actually a walk.
Then something weird happens for the next few pictures. Check out my special hand…
But it gets worse…
What IS that hand doing?? I want to slap it down right now. Stop it special hand, stop. That hand eventually crept away to stop my Garmin at the end of this horrible race.
Um do you see that? The photo cropped perfectly to make it look like I was running a men’s race. Unless I haven’t told you guys something….
Now that you’ve had your fair share of horrible pictures of my busted self, here are this weeks best Friday Searches!
- 1st place prom dresses short (Why do people constantly search prom dresses and end up on my blog?? I’m 24!)
- Can you see a woman’s face in the 50 shades of grey picture (What does this even mean?)
- Is the picture of ryan gosling peeing real? (So there is a real picture? Well my readers will be happy to know that then!)
- Oatmeal face overnight (If you do this, please take pictures and share them with me.)
- Korean female bodybuilder (Well that’s interesting…)
- Women peeing pants (Welcome to my life.)
So there you have it! Not a great week for Friday Searches but still fun. That’s all the nonsense I have for now!
Big plans for this weekend??
Thursday, June 28th, 2012
As you know, I have this week and next week off. Thus far, I haven’t done anything eventful. I’ve tried to think of things to do by myself but I’ve already done them or I just have no motivation to do them. I tell you, something about not being at work everyday makes you lose all motivation for everything else in your life too. So here is what I have been up to…
Of course there has been lot’s of wearing compression socks and icing the ole ankle.
And on days when it’s not 5903 degrees outside, lots of reading this
along the Chicago River.
A ridiculous amount of oatmeal has been consumed.
And a ridiculous amount of time has been spent at Macy’s shopping with my bf.
How about them gold sneakers?
So as you can see I live a very eventful life. Icing, reading, eating and taking pictures of cardboard cutouts at Macy’s. Sadly since it was Tuesday in the middle of the afternoon no one was around to actually take my picture with the Biebs cutout. I’m sure I’ll be back sometime soon and I’ll harass a Macy’s customer to do it.
Though my week hasn’t been too exciting, ProCompression did send me a coupon code to share with you guys! See these awesome bright orange compression socks?
OMGINEEDTHOSERIGHTNOW. How cool are those? If you recall, in the gross picture of my feet above, I am actually wearing the green version of these because ProCompression makes my absolute favorite compression socks. They are tight and heavenly. So if you love compression, get these awesome orange socks and if you’ve yet to try them get them. Now’s the perfect time because these socks run $50.00 a pair but….
- If you enter the coupon code SOM610 at checkout you will get 40% off! (click here http://www.procompression.com/
- Free shipping too!
I’ve already ordered mine since the deal is only good through July 10 I had to make sure I had these. ProCompression did not sponsor this in anyway, they simply sent me a coupon code saying I could share with my readers if I wanted. UM of course I want because I love these, I love you AND I love deals.
That’s all the nonsense I have for now!
What’s the most exciting thing you’ve done this week?
Wednesday, June 27th, 2012
1. I am getting realllllly excited for the Olympics. I really wish it were on this week because I could sit at home and watch it all day long since I have off. Watching swimming trials is really exciting. You would think it would make me miss swimming even just 1% but nope it makes me all the more thankful for all this hatred I store inside for swimming. I still love to watch it though, on the sidelines with a beer and a snack. That’s much better than actually participating right?
Yes, yes it is.
2. Speaking of half naked men, Magic Mike opens this weekend and you know I have been waiting all 24 years of my life for this movie. Let’s me honest, does anyone reallycare what this movie is about?
Yea, I didn’t think so.
3. In case you didn’t know PartyDog is a website designer that works from home. He ordered one of those fancy professional computers a few weeks ago and it finally came in the mail yesterday. I was terrified to open this box. Tell me you don’t think there is a slim chance an actual alien could be in this creepy thing:
It’s 61 lbs. There could definitely be an alien in there.
4. I’m not sure if it’s because I have off, but mustering up the motivation to actually go to the gym this week has taken every ounce of my soul. I am just so over it this week. The very thought of spending an hour+ on a machine down there is so unappealing to me. I think I’ll go to a fitness class today at the Yoga Loft Chicago to breakup with the gym for a day or two.
5. And speaking of being bored, I’m starting to get really bored with my lunches. I normally eat some sort of arugula salad with veggies for lunch but have been so bored with it lately. Anyone have any new ideas for lunch? I expect lots of good answers and for you to come to my apartment and make whatever it is you suggest for me on a daily basis. Be here around 1:00.
6. Time to annouce the winners of the Chike high protein coffee giveaway!
- #45: Sarah:Iced coffee for sure! Especially with caramel or chocolate (or both) and whipped cream and nuts…oh and a little bit of coffee in there!
- #4: Lindsay @ Running the Windy City: I like both- iced in the summer and hot in the winter!
- #2: Erica A: I liked them on FB, too!
- #36: Akemi: Right now it’s hot, so iced coffee sounds better to me.
- #67: Becca: Oh, iced, for sure.
YAY! Winners email me your address and phone number (for tracking purposes) at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can get this good stuff shipped out to you!
That’s all the nonsense I have for now!
What is your favorite lunch lately?
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012
Yesterday I woke up angry. I just couldn’t get over the anger I felt after that awful 5K. If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know that I’m injured and need surgery. Unfortunately due to some crappy insurance issues, my surgery is on hold for a little while so I have no idea as to when I will be on the road to recovery but I know it’s not anytime soon.
Thinking about all this, how I’m injured, I need surgery and won’t be getting it for a while, I just knew I couldn’t let that 5K sit in my stomach as the last run/race I’ve had. The run was awful, I felt awful and the worst part was I gave up. Even when I saw the finish line, I actually slowed down opposed to giving it all I had left.
So I woke up yesterday angry and ready for redemption. PartyDog was at the gym which meant I could slip outside unnoticed (and without a fight about how I shouldn’t be running) and the weather was perfect: 65, breezy and sunny. I hadn’t done the wash yet so I had no clean running clothes which meant all I had were some old shorts, a cotton t-shirt (oh no!) and I somehow found two random mis-matched socks in my drawer. There was no fancy sweat-wicking shirt, no fancy running socks or shorts. It was just my sneakers, Garmin and myself.
As I was walking down to the path I knew was a 5K, a bunch of thoughts went through my head: What if this run is worse than yesterday? What if I really can’t run any faster? What if my legs just aren’t able to move? What if…what if…
When I realized I was about to sike myself out, I simply said ‘screw all that’, pushed the start button on my Garmin and went.
I ran, I hurt, I conquered.
This run felt brilliant (that’s fast for me peeps!). It was one of those runs that hurt in all the right places. It was painful, hard and I wanted to stop and say ‘whatever it doesn’t matter’ multiple times. But I pushed through because that’s what running is about. If running were easy, everyone would do it, but it’s hard, really hard. That feeling when you push through that wall is like no other. I was finally able to answer the question the Women’s Half Chicago asked all along: Why do you run? Answer: because I can push myself to accomplish great things. Back to basics: no fancy running clothes, no race bib, no fancy clif-shots, gus or gels, just running (and a fancy Garmin….and a busted face).
That’s all the nonsense I have for now! Why do you run?
PS. I realize running was probably a stupid idea, but I’ll be done for a while, don’t you worry!